Monday, March 25, 2013

{potato leek soup}



As a {{single person}} I have always found it hard to cook for just me. Shopping is not made for just the single person, and when you freeze the extra it just ends up getting freezer burn. Left overs never last long, and lets face it, we dont like eating left overs anyway. So I found a Healthy cook book that is just for me. I am looking forward to being able to try some new recipes that are not only healthy but wont leave me with any left overs. 


     Ingredients                         For 2 servings          For 4 servings
      
      Leeks                                1 Large                      2 Large 
      Butter                                1 1/2 tsp                     1 Tbsp
      Peeled and sliced potato            1 1/2 cup                    3 cups 
      Water or chicken broth              3 cups                        6 cups 
       Salt and pepper                 to taste                       to taste 



Remove the tough outer leaves of the leeks. cut the remaining white and tender lighter-green part of the leeks in half lenghwise and hold the halves under cold running water to make sure that any dirt hidden between the layers is removed. Trim off the root end and chop the leep coarsely. set aside. 
In a heavy 2-quart (or 3 quart) saucepan over low heat melt butter. stir in the leeks. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the leeks are wilted but not brown. 
Add the potatoes, water or broth, salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Serve the soup hot or let cool to room tempature, puree it and serve chilled. 


Per serving- 185 calories, 0.8 g total fat, 0.1 g sat fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 4.4 g protein, 43.2 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber 


     My notes on the soup---- It was very {{easy.}} I also learned that leeks are not the same thing as green onions even tho they look like a jumbo sized green onion. (and yes I had to ask my local produce department manager) I added some extra seasonings, as it was kinda bland, I added garlic powder.I used 2 cans of chicken broth (bout 4 cups)  and the rest water (bout 2 cups water)  I made the 4 servings because I had a friend over, and she thought it was good too... there was some left over and I ate it for lunch the next day and was even better! 

                     ***** A Leek is not the same as a green onion ***** 



<3 Karen 

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog, so I nominated you for the Liebster Award check it out here: http://mumandbabytogether.blogspot.ch/2013/03/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete